NANSIG x BSDJ Essay Competition
NANSIG and the British Student Doctor Journal (BSDJ) are proud to present our 2021 Essay competition. This year, we entrants may choose from one of two essay titles for the chance to be published in the BSDJ!
Essay Title One
“What has been the most important advancement in neurosurgical practice, over the last 10 years?”
Essay Title Two
“What is the most important innovation in neurosurgical practice, that will emerge within the next 10 years?”
How to Enter:
- Essays must be limited to a maximum of 2000 words ± 10% with a maximum of 40 references.
- Essays may contain a maximum of 3 figures and 2 tables. Tables and figures should be annotated with appropriate legends. Figures and tables are permitted but are not compulsory for submissions.
- Referencing should be in Vancouver style. Use of a reference formatting software such as Endnote is highly recommended.
- Please submit your entry via the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include the following statement as the email subject “NANSIG 2021 ESSAY COMPETITION ENTRY”.
- Please ensure entries are submitted in PDF format with no personally identifiable information included (as per terms of entry).
- The Deadline for entery is the 5pm on the 30th April 2022, entries submitted after this time will not be accepted.
Terms of Entry:
- Essays must be submitted during the competition entry window. Any late entries will not be accepted, regardless of any reason given.
- Essays must be submitted via the provided email. Any essays submitted via other means will not be accepted.
- Essays should be submitted in PDF format via the email address provided.
- Entries must be written in English.
- This essay competition is open to any undergraduate healthcare student (e.g. Medical, Dental, Nursing). The competition is also open to foundation year junior doctors (Foundation year 1 and Foundation year 2).
- Entrants should NOT include any personally identifiable essay (e.g. name, level of training, affiliated institutions). Any essays containing this information may be subject to disqualification.
- Multiple authors are not permitted on a single submission.
- Any form of plagiarism identified within submissions will result in instant disqualification. It is the responsibility of the participant to ensure that their essay does not result in any pre-existing copyrights. Entries must be original work of the entrant.
- NANSIG or the British Student Doctor Journal will not be responsible or liable for any costs, problems, damage or loss of whatsoever nature to the participants resulting from their participation in the competition.
- NANSIG or the British Student Doctor Journal reserve the right to disqualify any participant that they determine are submitting material that is deemed to be offensive.
- NANSIG or the British Student Doctor Journal reserve the right to present no prizes or commendations if an insufficient number of deserving essays is received.
- NANSIG or the British Student Doctor Journal reserves the right to modify the format and content of essays for publication purposes.
- NANSIG or the British Student Doctor Journal will not be responsible or liable for any problem, loss or damage of whatsoever nature suffered by any party due to any delay and/or failure in submitting entries to the competition.
- By entering, the entrants, including the winner, agree to allow the free use of their names, photographs and general locations for publicity and news purposes during this competition
- Entrants should retain their own copies as no entries will be returned. Entries must be submitted online to the instructions specified. There will be no feedback on any entries, either during or after the competition.
- Scoring of essays will be conducted using a blinded approach with two rounds of multiple markers. Markers will use a pre-defined rubric to ensure essays are graded in a fair and consistent manner. Once essays have been marked, it will NOT be possible to request a remark and all decisions are final.
- Submission of an entry will be deemed acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- NANSIG or the British Student Doctor Journal reserve the right at any time to cancel, modify or supersede the competition (including altering the prize) if, in their sole discretion, the competition is not capable of being conducted as specified.
- For further details or clarification of terms of entry, please contact email@example.com