SCRUBS 2020 SURGICAL SKILLS (includes neurosurgery)
When? – Saturday 29th February 2020
Who? – This is being run by the QUB surgical society, Scrubs, with the neurosurgery element in collaboration with ‘The Brain Society’.
The day begins with a talk on the postgraduate surgical pathway, delivered by the head of the Northern Ireland Medical Training Agency.
- After this, students will get the chance to attend two workshops (1 in the AM; 1 in the PM). There are four workshops running in the morning and afternoon covering plastics/neurosurgery/orthopaedics and general surgery, so all students will get the chance to participate in two workshops.
- We will host 80 students (20 per workshop, morning and afternoon). For the entire day, we have only charged students £20 each.
- For the neurosurgery workshop, we will cover the following:
- Burr hole
- Microscopic suturing (simulating closure of the dura in one station and depth-perception skills in another).
- A rest station with a demonstration on the use of haemostats and sealants as well as anatomical models donated from our anatomy department.
- +/- Pedicle screw insertion (we have reserved a spine, but are still in last minute talks r.e securing equipment for screw insertion)
- A 30 minute talk on CV building/applying to neurosurgery and what is involved in a neurosurgical career will preceed the workshop.